Monday, March 20, 2006

16 Blocks

Six out of ten

This movie centers around a stagnant cop (Bruce Willis) whose told to pick up an inmate (Mos Def) to take him to the courthouse to testify at a Grand Jury trial where many crooked cops will be named. The trip to the courthouse is deterred 16 blocks short by said crooked cops and the movie centers around Bruce Willis determined to take him to the courthouse.

***warning- spoiler alert****

The movie was interesting, very very suspensful but I felt the writer/director/SOMEBODY took a few too many liberties with the movie with "easy out" shortcuts. For example, the bus scene where its Mos Def and Willis in the bus and they're careening through the city. How did they get the bus "just so" coincidentally right behind the court house considering they didnt choose for it to end up there. The police shot the tires and it ended up sliding there on flats. Very implausible. Another example was the ambulance scene. One minute they're in the ambulance, the next minute they're in a totally different ambulance. I thought I missed something but when I read Roger Ebert's review he found the same issue.

It's no secret, I adore Mos Def. I think he's adorable and funny and he's a fabulous hip hop artist. But I was ready to kill him in this movie. I don't blame him at all but the director or SOMEBODY decided not only would he have a highly nasal voice in the movie they'd have him talk continously throughout the entire movie. I kid you not. Again love Mos Def but this movie was proof that too much of a good thing can be bad.