Sunday, April 23, 2006

Pride and Prejiduce- the Cliff Notes Version

four out of ten

It seems all the movies I avidly awaited are one by one disappointing. Last night I watched Pride and Prejudice featuring Keira Knightley. I expected good things since I a) Loved the book b) Loved the BBC Version c) and heard raving reviews. I was terribly disappointed. I understood they'd be edited parts from the book since its only a 2 hour film but I felt I was watching it in fast forward. Everyone seemed to be acting. In the BBC Version I felt Colin Firth was Mr. Darcy, and Lizzie was truly Lizzie but here I was watching a period peice. I knew they were acting, they knew they were acting. She was ridiculously young to play Lizzie whose supposed to be around 26-28... Kate Winslet would have blown her out of the water and the only reason I can presume they picked Keira was her star power to bring in the big bucks in the box office. Perhaps I'm watching this as miniexpert on the book but I felt if someone came in with no background knowledge of the movie they'd be pretty puzzled by what was going on. All in all, way overhyped. If you want to watch a good Pride and Prejduice movie, invest 6 hours and watch the BBC version.