Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Must Love Dogs

three out of ten

Follow a newly divorced older lady who was left by her husband for a younger woman cope with life after marriage. Watch as her sweet but over involved family tries to set her up through a matchmaking website and laugh as she meets all sorts of zany and quirky characters until she meets.... *gasp* Mr. Right. And guess what? He loves dogs. Throw in a caveat of another potential love interest who is just Mr. Bad Guy and you got yourself an ultimate chick flick formula. Don't get me wrong- I love sappy chic flicks. I could sit and watch Sleepless in Seattle on repeat for at least four times but this movie just doesn't work. Poor Diane Lane, she is a great actress and there are scenes in this movie I swear she is thinking "I can't believe I couldnt get out of the contract to do this film. Must fire agent." Its a good effort that had much potential to be absolutely hilarious-- but somehow-- it falls flat.