Saturday, November 11, 2006

Babel

eight out of ten

If you've seen Crash then this movie is best described as an "international Crash" See how two wealthy Americans, A Morrocan shephard and his family, a Japanese tycoon and his deaf daughter, and an illegal Mexican nanny are all more connected than even they realize.

The movie follows all the stories and each one is inspiring and each story for the most part is well told and well acted. The issue I had with the film is that though all interconnected the Japanese theme was not as closely connected as the others were. The oversexualized Japanese girl and hr scenes made the movie no longer a movie I could recommend to anyone and everyone, but now a movie that I must caution contains extreme full frontal nudity. And is not brief nudity. So be warned about that. Infact if that story line was not there at all this was a ten out of ten movie for me.

I just loved the story and its message. About how it showed that we are all one people. How there is goodness in everybody and how sometimes the choices that we seem to not understand are sometimes incomprehensible to the people themselves but more are usually still well meaning and well intentioned.

It addressed stereotypes against Muslims and against Mexicans. And it showed a different view point. A view point I am aware of but many Americans are not.

I've read some negative reviews who say this movie beats you over the head. I dont think it does. I think people are angry aout the message because it shows people in a humane manner who the media wants us to see as one dimensional beings. But no one is one dimensional.

This movie explores this brilliantly.