Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Inception

I realize that getting to the movies will be an increasingly challenging activity post-baby so I am quite psyched that I managed to steal some time away to catch the latest Leonardo movie, Inception!

This is a movie about dreams. Leo is a dream thief. He breaks into people's dreams and steals information. He is approached to undertake a new assignment: Don't steal, implant an idea in someone's head.

I think I expected way more out of this movie so initially when I walked out of the movie theater I was a little disappointed. I thought it was going to explore the meaning of our dreams, etc. The narrative is mostly expository and I miss the emotional punch to the gut that I got in Shutter Island, but once I realized that I was expecting too much and this is just a typical heist movie with a sci fi twist, and when I look at it like that- its sheer brilliance [though perhaps a teensy bit too long]. I want to watch it again with my lowered expectations and see how I find it then.