Sunday, January 01, 2012

Young Adult-- an examination of loss

There are some movies that stay with you for some time to come and this movie is one of them. Even now days after having watched it, the story lines, the dialogue stays with me. I know I'm not perhaps in the great majority with my love as my brother and cousin who watched it with me found it below average, but for me, I loved it more than I could have imagined. 

Young Adult follows the life of a late thirties former prom queen current young adult writer who loves to drink and finds out that her exboyfriend in her small town has gone off and gotten married and had a baby. She is determined to win him back. This is not a funny zany love story as some of the trailers promise. This is a story far deeper than that with a subtle twist at the end, that helps tie everything together. What moved me about Young Adult was not the dark comedy storylines because at the end of the day this movie wasn't particularly hilarious, but that this movie was the sincere examination of loss. Loss of beauty, of life, of hopes and dreams. And the power of self-denial. This is a movie I will definitely see again. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.